Six Miami Dade College professors have been named 2020 Endowed Teaching Chairs, which are regarded as the highest faculty honor at MDC.
The recipients will join more than 300 Endowed Chairs honored since 1992. They include:
- North Campus English assistant professor Brooke Bovee, who was awarded The Andrew Blank Endowed Teaching Chair.
- Kendall Campus senior associate accounting professor Hoa Burrows, who received The Juan A. Galan, Jr. Endowed Teaching Chair in Entrepreneurship.
- Hialeah Campus English associate professor Victor Calderin, who earned The Henry E. S. Reeves/Miami Times Endowed Teaching Chair.
- North Campus English professor Kimberly Carter, who earned The Anastasios and Maria Kyriakides Endowed Teaching Chair.
- Kendall Campus agriculture and animal science professor Theresa Chormanski, who received the South Florida Educational Credit Union Endowed Teaching Chair.
- North Campus biology professor Jorge Obeso, who received the W.L. Philbrick and Christine J. Philbrick Mortuary Science Endowed Teaching Chair.
Recipients are awarded an annual stipend of $7,500 for three years to develop projects, explore new teaching methods and enhance their technological expertise.
To apply, professors needed to submit a portfolio that included official transcripts, personal narratives and student feedback that went as far back as six years.